Elsa and I have a variety of friends that she hangs out with. We work to have play-dates with several different types of dogs and I have really had to overcome my social anxieties to make sure she continues to meet new pups.
Here is a list of ways you can expand your doggy social circle:
1. Dog Classes: whether it is obedience, agility, or any other specialty, you can meet dog owners who are striving toward the same thing with their dogs. This can be nice because it will give you something specific to talk about with the other human while your dogs interact.
2. Dog Park: did your dog get along extremely well with one of the other pups? Try to set up a time to meet at the park again!
3. Local Dog Events: here in Birmingham, we have Doo Dah Day. We also have other dog-friendly events throughout the year. These are awesome opportunities to find like-minded dogs for your baby.
4. Just Ask Friends: your friends probably have dogs and probably need playmates. They may feel awkward about asking, they may not have ever taken the time to think about getting your pups together, or they may not realize you are open to the idea!
5. Volunteer with a Local Animal Group: do you have a local humane society or shelter, a local therapy dog group, or other dog-related group that you can volunteer with? Get involved and find some like-minded doggy parents who want to get together!
ALWAYS REMEMBER: safety first!! Make sure you are careful about your privacy and always respect someone else if they are uncomfortable giving out any private information.
What other items would you add to this list? Let me know in the comments! I'm always looking for new ways to get my dog some playmates.